FishON! Motel located in downtown Pulaski NY 13142, across from the Salmon River, caught on fire early Wednesday morning on December 30, 2009. I was awakened by sirens around 4:00 am and lights flashing from Border patrol vehicles parked outside my front door of my business/home, a.k.a. Yankee Fly & Tackle Shop, Wife Approved Lodge, & Premiere Guide Service. I couldn't believe my eyes! Wow! It was a big fire and I knew it was going to be a total loss. I took a bunch of pictures to document the incident. Little did I know, a man named Bob Godfrey, was still inside. He died and the fire fighters found his body after they extinguished the flames. I didn't know the man well however everytime I did see him pass by my place, he always smiled and acknowledged me. He kept to himself and was a frequent customer of the End Zone Sports Bar
just around the corner from my place. Apparently the fire started from an electric heater that was found near the body of Bob Godfrey (age 68) in his room/apartment at the FishOn! Motel. I called Mike Fiumano, the owner of FishOn! Motel later that morning around 10:00 am and spoke with him briefly. He was very upset about the death of Bob and said that he showed up on his back porch the day before Christmas telling him that he spent his last dime at the End Zone Sports Bar and didn't have any place to go. Mike said he felt sorry for him and let him stay in Room 6. I couldn't take the cold anymore and I could see that the fire fighters had the blaze under control so I headed home. On my way back to my place I ran into Linda Tarbox of the 1880 House B&B which is across the river from me. She said she video taped the incident from her back porch as she can see the rooftop of the FishON! Motel from there. The Village of Pulaski Police Chief passed me by and I could tell it was going to be a long day for him as he just made the drive from the city of Oswego. This really stinks and I am sad for both Bob Godfrey and his family as well as Mike Fiumano and his family too. This is a terrible tradegy. Even though Mike and I do not see eye to eye on some things I still would not want to see this happen to him or anyone I know.
END NOTE: The Village of Pulaski needs to address why the fire hydrant across the street from me and in front of the River House Restaurant was not working and if it was working, the fire would have not gotten as bad as it did. This is my opinion as I was there. Also, for all the fire fighters who did show up, wow...they sure did put forth their very best effort and it's not a job I would want. They were all dressed and ready to go and responded as fast as they could. Even the ambulance team was patiently waiting. God Bless all of the people/professionals who responded. Six different fire departments responded as well as National Grid, Oswego County Sheriffs Dept., Border Patrol, Local & State Police Depts.
CLICK HERE to see more pictures of the fire......
(All pictures and content on www.FishTheSalmonRiver.com are exclusively owned by Dawn A. Rucando. You must seek permission in writing to obtain pictures or content from this site. Anyone found printing, copying, or using any pictures or content from this site without written permission from Dawn A. Rucando will be prosecuted.)
Dawn A. Rucando, owner of
POB 13 Pulaski NY 13142
Cell: (315) 489-6115
Premiere Booking Agent For
Lake Ontario & The Salmon River
as well as,
Yankee Fly & Tackle Shop
Wife Approved Lodge & Premiere Guide Service
4819 Salina Street Pulaski NY 13142
Shop: (315) 298-2466